Thursday, November 23, 2006

PARIS DAY 6: Thanksgeeveeng

I think I meant to work on my paper this morning when I got up...but instead I sort of just browsed that intarweb, ate nutella on a sourdough loaf, and peeled and ate my pomela (which left my fingers tasting bitter all the rest of the day).

Around noon I went to Denfert-Rochereau for some lunch and to just pass the time until going to the Paris Center. I found a bakery a couple blocks of Rue Daguerre that seemed to be tasty judging by the line of people waiting for food. I ended up getting a slice of tomato and tuna quiche and a chocolate eclair (ohh man). I found a little park with some benches and sat down to eat, and then just walked up a random street and back down. With twenty or so minutes left I decided to explore all of Monoprix (the grocery store, although other locations are more like Target), and went to Chaterle to catch the 14 to go to the Paris Center.

The Paris Center served the students some "thanksgiving numnums" (I quote Jason) after class and so everyone was hanging out in the library place, doing that. I got to see some of my friends who are here on other programs--Mariel, Caroline, Margaret--who are all enjoying themselves here in Paris; it was great to get to talk to them!

Shortly after, the English civ kids went out (I came along) on a history field trip of sorts of Steve, who is fresh out of grad school working for U of C (or something) and does aikido. He led us around the district near the old opera house and explained the story of Haussmann and the rebuilding of Paris, which was quite interesting. His manner and style of explanation was fantastic, even if the weather was not.

When this was over Jason and I hurried back to the Fondation so that we could go out again quickly to have our peking duck thanksgiving dinner before Jay had to be back to head back out again for a french conversation excursion (I've found that one doesn't so much walk everywhere in Paris as one takes the trains everywhere). Unfortunately, when we got to the restaurant (shiortly before 6pm) that they don't even start cooking anything until 7pm, and as we would need to back at the dorm by 8:15 for Jay to meet up with his partner, this just didn't seem to leave enough time.

Kind of frustrated, we left and headed back toward the dorm, making a stop at the grocery to see what sort of make-shift dinner we could come up with (having no pot). We ended up buying an herb-cheese spread, clementine juice, and a microwave turkey and mashed potatoe dinner--makeshift thanksgiving.

We got back to Jason's room and he took the dinner upstairs to the kitchen to use the microwave. He came back down a minute later, told me to grab all of our stuff because we were going to eat up there. I was a little puzzled but went a long with it. Turns out (as I found out when we arrived at the kitchen) that a group of girls from Tulane had cooked a whole thanksgiving dinner (turkey, stuffing, potatoes, corn, squash, sweet potatoes with marshmallow!) and upon seeing Jason with his TV dinner had invited us to eat with them. Awww. So we shared their food and champange and our juice and cheese and good times were had by all. We left with them trying to push desserts and ice cream on us, as well as promises of leftovers.

Hooray for kind-hearted countrymen in foreign nations. =)

Now, Jason has left for his conversation thingie and I have the room to myself. I think I may read or nap, just chill. I intended to (and think I have been succeeding pretty well) live up my time here to the fullest, but it turns out that this is a pretty intense way to live. Though I will continue to miss Jason, I think that it is probably just as well that I will be going home soon (of course, if I had more time here I probably wouldn't have felt as rushed to have so many experiences in so short a time anyway...ehh).

Tomorrow Jay has no class so we are sleeping in (hooray!) and then I am seeing Teresa and then Jason and I are having a picnic (weather permitting) of bread, cheese, and wine along the Seine. There was no sun and plenty of rain today (though the rain is always light; I think it must be because there is never time for it to build up), but I hope the sun shines favorably on us tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Ayn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home