Monday, November 20, 2006

PARIS DAY 3.2: Happy Hour

When I left you last, I was typing a note and Jason was doing some reading. He went and got us hot beverages and we ate some pastry that I bought next. Next, a plan was made to go out for raspberry beer at La Gueuze and go see Pan's Labyrinth. A little bit of research told us, however, that the movie would be in Spanish (with French subtitles, obviously), and we decided that having to deal with that much foreign was not really the relaxing evening we had in mind. So, no movie, but La Gueuze was still a go, and soon since happy hour there is only from 5 to 7.

Did I just say "only from 5 to 7?" That's right, not only do they not believe in drinking fountains, the Frenchies also have a weird conception of "happy hour," as it lasts more than an hour and it happens ever single day. Every day. But, who I am to complain? Two beers for the price of one ("2 pour l'prix d'1"), and two hours in which finish one and then order another beer is a good amount of time.

We run upstairs to grab Lindsey, who is back from her trip to Rome and Prague, and head out on the B to the Luxembourg stop and then across the street and around the corner to La Gueuze, a cozy bar with very enthusiastic waiters ushering in, that specializes in foreign beers. As is on the to-do list for my visit here, each of us ordered a raspberry beer, becasse framboise, and a bowl of onion soup with cheese (that's French onion soup to you! and was super delicious). We chatted about French teachers, squirrels, and Jason's low alcohol tolerance, eventually ordered second beers (a Guiness for me, a Kilkenny for Jay, and a peach beer for Lindsey), finished it all and then headed back out into the rain. A nice experience; I would go back there. Each beer is served in its own brand glass, and we got a plate on salted peanuts to start with. =)

But yea, raining. I've discovered that my hat is excellent for keeping rain off, hooray!

We came back to the Fondation, ate my other pastry, ate some Fritos, and watched an episode of Myth Busters on Jay's computer where they made hover crafts and dropped an elevator. Then I fell asleep while Jay did work. I am sloooowly catching up on that day of sleep I missed.

Jay only has class until noon tomorrow, so we shall see what comes of this. Wednesday I think I will go to the Musee D'orsay and perhaps shopping at La Halles (sp?). I should think about my essay at some point...but I've got the whole plane ride back for that, right?

Ciao!
A

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home