Tuesday, November 21, 2006

PARIS DAY 4.1: Uniforms?

I spent part of this morning trying to tidy up the room some...whether or not it made a difference is hard to say. But, around 10:30 I went out to--you guessed it--Denfert-Rochereau to see if my card works at the ATM (it does) and do some shopping. I went in a few clothing stores; apparently orange is in style! I'm ahead of the curve with my coat! I also visited this...I guess Japanese import store called Muji that had pretty cool stocking stuffers, decor items, and clothing, toys, and socks made from recycled yarn. Bought some things there and kinda just wandered up one side of the street and down the other.

When I left Muji I started noticing some people in uniforms (my guess is firefighter, but I can't read French, so, whatever). Then I noticed more, and more. They were friggin' everywhere. And when I got back to where I had started from, at the statue of a lion that is as the center of this area tons of these people in these uniforms were clustered around, setting off crackling flares and colored smoke; traffic was getting a little backed up; all the cafes nearby were crowded with uniformed folks. I didn't even feel comfortable taking a picture of the main hulabaloo because they were really all around me, and I felt kind of rude since I had no idea what this could be about. I tried to ask some women at the train station what was going on, but they either did not speak English or did not want to help me.

So, yes. Weird. I have no idea.

Anyway, Jay is back from class soon, then we be goin' out.

A

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home